>98% Alumina Ceramic (Al₂O₃)
Our range of >98% alumina materials are often found in our hard wearing products used within the medical, security & defence and industrial applications. These materials include but are not limited to:
Sintox CL (98.6% Alumina)
This 98.6% alumina material has been well proven as a lightweight hard-faced armour tile material for battlefield vehicles and structures. This material features:
- Excellent ballistic properties: designed to defeat rounds from small arms up to medium calibre cannon
- Very hard, and resistant to fracture and thermal downshock
- Half the weight of conventional steel armour for same level of protection
- Battlefield repairs are easily performed by unbolting a damaged ceramic armour panel and fitting a new one
This battle ready material is a perfect choice for products in military applications including hard-faced armour tiles for battlefield and security service vehicles or structures and add-on packages to upgrade the armour of existing vehicles/structures and provide good multi-hit capability at five calibre spacing or better.
Hilox™ 965 and Hilox™ 991 (99% Alumina)
This 99% alumina material was developed for abrasive resistance and mechanical strength in chemically aggressive environments. This material features:
- Excellent resistance to corrosion and chemical attack
- Exceptionally hard-wearing and abrasion resistant
- Dense, non-porous and vacuum tight
- Excellent dimensional stability across wide temperature range
This hard wearing material features in many products within pumping applications including, wear resistant components for rotary and reciprocating pumps handling chemically aggressive media: shafts, bearings, thrust washers, plungers, counterface seals, etc.
AL-995 (99.5% Alumina)
AL-995 is a high purity 99.5% Alumina which due to its purity, chemical resistance and high temperature capabilities prove invaluable for semiconductor applications. This material benefits from the following features:
- Vacuum tight
- Electrically and dimensionally stable at high temperatures
- Low particle generation
- Excellent dielectric properties
- Resistant abrasion and chemical attack
- Accepts moly-manganese metallising for high temperature brazing of assemblies
The features and properties of this material make AL-995 an excellent choice for semiconductor applications such as semiconductor process chambers, sputtering targets, and fixtures. Our engineers also recommend AL-995 for laser devices for wide range of industrial, medical, and defence applications, power tubes for klystron and X-ray equipment and flow meters/pressure sensors.
CAC995 (99.5% Alumina)
This 99.5% alumina material is an excellent choice for medical applications where the product needs to withstand exposure to acidic or caustic environments. Featuring:
- Small grain size
- High density
- High strength
- Non-porous material
- Chemically resistant
The lack of porosity of this material mean it can be polished to a very high surface finish and its chemical resistance mean this is an excellent material for the manufacture of products used within medical or analytical instrument applications.
Deranox 995 (99.5% Alumina)
This material is extensively used for applications that require exceptional electrical resistance combined with resistance to chemical attack. This 95% alumina benefits from a range of features including:
- Ultra-low outgassing
- Low neutron absorption
- Resistant to fluorine and chlorine attack
- Very high volume resistivity
- Good thermal conductivity
- Non-porous and vacuum tight
These features make this material a good choice for with gas, solid-state and waveguide lasers and components for a wide range of industrial, medical and defence equipment.
TG12 (99.5% Alumina)
This 99.5% alumina is a biocompatible material, suited to medical applications. This material features:
- Mechanical strength
- Dimensional stability
- Chemical resistance
- High density
These features make this material an excellent choice for applications such as pacemakers, defibrillators, implantable pulse generators (IPGs), cochlear implants and implantable pumps.
Sintox AL (99.7% Alumina)
This is a high purity porous alumina ceramic used extensively for long-life laser reflectors. This material is sintered at high temperatures to achieve a controlled porosity. Sintox AL features:
- 98.0% reflectance efficiency at 1064nm
- Reflectance efficiency exceeds 96% across the wavelength range 500-2000nm
- Controlled porosity
- Good thermal conductivity
- High electrical resistivity
- Highly cost effective alternative to metal coated reflectors
The excellent features of this material make it a good choice for a variety of applications including pumping chambers for flash lamp and continuous wave lasers using media such as Nd:YAG lasers, layered and segmented pumping chambers for diode pumped lasers, intense pulse light (IPL) applications for cosmetic surgery.
AL-998® (99.8% Alumina)
AL-998® is a high purity etch grade Alumina specifically developed for semiconductor processing applications. AL-998® is a unique material as free silica in the grain boundaries have been eliminated and it has low sodium purity levels which enable fine finishes and polishes to be achieved. This material features:
- Excellent plasma & chemical resistance
- Excellent dielectric properties for high voltage applications
The above features make this material the best choice products in semiconductor applications including: components for PVD, CVD and CMP oxide etch, ion implants, photo lithography and manufacturing products for chamber critical semiconductor parts including: chamber liners, isolators, wafer paddles, shields and spacers/wafer lift pins and guide pins, injector tubes, gas nozzles, and insulator blocks.
We also offer another type of 99.8% alumina which is excellent for the manufacture of products in the semiconductor and medical industry which includes the following features:
- High resistance to semiconductor etch chemistries
- Excellent chemical resistance to acids, bases and organics
- Small grain size, low porosity, high polishability
- High volume resistivity
- Superior mechanical wear resistance
- Less than 100 ppm soda and silica impurity levels
- Maintains surface integrity in corrosive environments
The features of this material make this a good choice for applications such as semiconductor components for etch, PVD, CVD, CMP, implant and litho processes, high power laser insulators, wear-resistant rotary components, blood seals and valves, piston & sleeve pump sets and high vacuum components.
We have the ability to offer tailored formulations to suit a particular requirement, so contact us today to see how we can work with you to ensure you have the right material that provides full optimisation for your product.